Monday, November 20, 2006

Statement of Purpose

August 29, 2005.

I was standing on the Mississippi River levee, in Baton Rouge (in other words, no, not that levee). Four friends and I fought through the near-horizontal rain that soaked our clothes. The 60 mile-per-hour winds literally whipped us back and forth as we neared a meterologist for Channel 2 news in the hopes of getting on live TV. The river's thunderous waves beat against the bottom of the levee, but the surge was nowhere near dangerous height. We pressed on, laughing and smiling, lucky to have gotten out of school for a week. When we finally made it across the levee to the weatherman, we became hurricane hunters from St. Paul, Minnesota, and eventually started a "Go Katrina (clap clap clap-clap-clap)" chant. All five of us LSU Tigers were swept away in a force of nature, and we sang and danced in the pounding rain, only subconciously aware that while we were playing, others were drowning.

As we returned to our dorm, Kirby-Smith Hall on the northside of campus, CNN was reporting a breach in the 17th Street and Canal levee in Downtown New Orleans. From there, I was silenced. The four others had not known New Orleans as their hometown for the past 18 years. They did not recognize the streets that were being inundated with water. I could only watch quietly, and expression-less, as news anchors in swanky New York studios were telling me what I could very plainly see for myself: my hometown was underwater. Sitting in the lobby of Kirby-Smith, clothes still soaking wet from the torrential downpour, I wasn't quite ready to cope with the reality of the situation. But I kept staring, mouth tightly closed, nervous at what the latest reports and images would bring.

That was a year, two months, and 23 days ago. And a lot has happened since then. I left LSU, moved to Baltimore, currently working as a waiter on the Inner Harbor, I have a niece, the Democrats took control of Congress (although not official for another two months), Donald Rumsfeld resigned, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have turned into the voices of truth, Britney Spears got her damn mind back, and I've been re-accepted to LSU, with plans of retuning in January. Oh, and I've lost at least 50 pounds. But I'm getting to the reason of this title, "Statement of Purpose."

Whatever I decide to do in life, writing will be a factor, and it's good to voice one's opinion. It's what made this country great. But now, in the closest thing to fascism that exists, we have gone from democracy to hatred in about 6 years. Actually, 6 years, 2 months and 10 days. September 11th, 2001, changed this country. America transformed from a respected superpower to a feared, out of control wasteland of hatred and disrespect, and it's true. The tragedies of that day (and I am in no way making light of that, it was a tragedy) enabled the hacks in power to send its brave soldiers into battle over a platform of lies. America was afraid that something like this would happen again, and they had every right to be. But the additional fear of another attack led to our invading of a country we now know had nothing to do with arguably the worst day in American history. And it is in this lie that a harsh reality emerges: The estimated cost of fixing New Orleans is roughly the same as the War in Iraq costs.

What happened to America? What happened to the "land of the free and the home of the brave"? What happened to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"? What happened to "this nation of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this earth"? What kind of world do we live in where our leaders are not held accountable for their actions, regardless of whose lives they damage or outright destroy? I was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America. A natural disaster sent me to Baltimore, but the inaction of our government has stalled my return. Personally, my life does not matter as much as the lives of countless thousands of families, friends, and Americans, who wake up on the same days, require the same food, and have the same need for love that all humans possess. The last time I checked, this was America. This was the land where the tired, the poor, and the huddled masses took shelter from their own countries, longing for some individual concept of freedom. And regardless of where those people ended up, or how they fared, they came to America because this was the land of the free. When our government turns its back on its own citizens, when Americans turn their backs on Americans, it is no longer the land of the free; rather, it is the land of hypocrisy. And that must change.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

I think you might be a little harsh. Regarding America's reaction to 9/11, there had to be a big reaction. Our nation relies on being either feared or respected, since the prior case failed, the latter was required.

Regarding, Katrina... I don't even know what to think about it all, man. It was a hell of a thing...