Friday, May 18, 2007

Bill O'Reilly and music videos

Every so often, when I'm flipping through channels, some headline catches my eye when I skip past Fox News, inevitably flipping back to see what the hell these assholes are talking about now. I flip back, missing the end of an interview, having to suffer through Sean Hannity thanking Ann Coulter for being on the program. I'm glad I missed what she said, but I start thinking to myself about these 24-hour news networks. Does anyone else realize that this is a pointless waste of time? That's when I started thinking about the nature of our news. It seems that news really doesn't matter, but exists as a platform for some giant Irish man to yell at people as to why they're wrong. That's the nature of news today. There's no more discourse, no more conversation, no more intelligent debate. Fox News is "fair and balanced?" That's just like saying the Pope is Jewish. It's just not true.

But this phenomenon didn't start with news. It started with a song written 28 years ago by Trevor Horn, Courtney Courson, Geoffrey Downes, and Bruce Woolley. They were better known as The Buggles. "I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two. Lying awake intent at tuning in on you. If I was young, it didn't stop you coming through. Oh Oh." We know this song better as "Video Killed The Radio Star," but it might as well be the anthem for news as well as MTV. When this video premiered as MTV commenced on August 1, 1981, no one foresaw the death of music as we know it. For the most part, music is dead. There are songs produced these days that transcend how we listen and experience music, but the love of greed and money that we have today has left its putrid stench on what was once a wonderful experience. When we listen to music, we get a vision. That vision can transport us to a new dimension of life; it reminds us of times spent in the past, whether in a kitchen or a foreign country ("Don't Speak" by No Doubt sends me straight back to France), and music will continue to exist in this capacity.

Just like the newspaper. When we read articles, it forces our mind to receive new information that is forced to react to our own emotions and feelings. Granted, the news has gotten worse and worse in the last six years, but we can still formulate an opinion based on articles that we read. Whether positive or negative, we can think about it. Fox News tells you how to think. They will appraise you if you're "right" (like Ann Coulter, who said that we must invade foreign countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity), and they will yell at you until red in the face if you're "wrong" (like Jeremy Glick, the son of a Port Authority worker slain on 9/11, who was yelled at by Bill O'Reilly, told to shut up, then had his mic cut and was thrown out of the studio. You can see it for yourself on YouTube.) They constantly plant a vision into the minds of mostly uneducated America about what is right and what is wrong. Anyone reading this who agrees with Fox News, let me ask you a question: Do you like being treated like a child, or do you like to make up your own mind? Read the paper, form an opinion, think for yourself.

Peace.

0 Comments: