Saturday, March 29, 2008

2008 Baltimore Orioles Team Preview


2008 Baltimore Orioles
Doomed from the Get-Go

BaseballEvolution.com 2008 Spring Preview

“Bah-mer.”

The above word is the nickname of the city of Baltimore, but it might as well be a nickname for “bummer,” as the Orioles have resembled the stinkiest of the stinky when it comes to baseball. I’ve only lived in one baseball town in my life (as New Orleans only afforded me with the Zephyrs – giving me the chance to scout one Lance Berkman back when he was a nobody). Living in Baltimore provided me with a unique perspective, especially as a waiter on the Inner Harbor. As a server, by virtue of actual Baltimoreans being lousy tippers, I always rooted for the opposing team to win, giving way for the out-of-towners to come in, get drunk and tip me big, as long as I professed my love for their team. More often than not, opposing teams wouldn’t let me down, and odds are favorable for repetition again this season.


I can’t really knock Hernandez. His performance has been relatively stable over the last five years, if not for a trip to the 15-day DL with a bruised groin, courtesy of a foul tip off Seattle’s Ben Broussard. He turns 32 in May, and chances are Hernandez will make it through the entire season, but his days are numbered.

Minor Note: Keep an eye out for Matt Wieters, as this Georgia Tech alum is being hailed by Scout.com as the best catching prospect in all of baseball. His obvious downside is his representation, super-hawk Scott Boras, but Wieters, as a 6’5” switch-hitting catcher is perfectly capable of hitting .300 with 30 homers and a lot of walks. I’m just saying. Keep a look out.


Continue reading at BaseballEvolution.com...

0 Comments: