Wednesday, January 16, 2008

LiveBlog: 1/16 LSU Student Government Senate Meeting

6:31 pm - Opening night, Atchafalaya-style! Eric W. Freeman, Jr. here, opinion columnist and premiere live blogger of the Spring 2008 Student Government. Colorado Robertson, Speaker of the Senate, pounds the gavel and opens tonight’s meeting. He then moves to the Secretary, who proceeds to call the roll for tonight’s session. I thought Senators said “present” instead of “here.” The word “present” seems to invoke a sort of official tone, whereas “here” is usually reserved for those more casual and fun.

6:32 pm - Pledge of Allegiance, followed by Robertson’s introduction of SG President Cassie Alsfeld to introduce Dr. John Lombardi, to avoid “news reports and better inform our constituents.”

6:33 pm - Dr. John Lombardi steps up, makes remarks about William Jenkins, interim chancellor of LSU. “We have these conversations with each other over a period of time.” About the resignation of Chancellor O’Keefe, “what he has indicated in his own statement. He decided it was time for him to move on, he accomplished what he intended to do. There’s been a lot of talk about evaluation processes, who said what, when said who, to who and where.”

6:41 pm - “Some money has come in, and we’ve been able to use that, as the Flagship Agenda keeps rolling along.” No mention from President Lombardi, however, about how this money has come in. He ends his speech gracefully, adding a somewhat cordial “Geaux Tigers.”

More from SG

6:43 pm - With the help of President Lombardi, the new senators of SG are introduced and sworn in. Chief Justice Mark Hill steps up to the podium to read the SG Student Code of Conduct.

6:44 pm - Senator O’Malley steps up, after finishing his bite of apple, to make a motion to adopt the minutes from last semester e-mailed out to the senators. The motion is passed unanimously. This is seriously worrying this live blogger.

Cassie Alsfeld's Chief of Staff

6:47 pm - Clark Lanius, Alsfeld’s Chief of Staff, comes up to explain how not to campaign in government offices during the “dreaded campaign season.” Chief Justice Hill comes back up to comment on Sen. LeBlanc’s “flirty” nature, as he reminds everyone to keep the negative publicity “to a minimum.” If there is any, however, I’ll be here for you.

Senators at work

6:49 pm - The chair of the Academics, Athletics, and Administration committee (AAA), Sen. Remson mentions the “Safe Streets” campaign, and he calls for anyone interested in campus safety and bike safety to join the committee. Remson attempts to clarify a typo about the location of the meeting, and a murmur erupts in the crowd. Enter Speaker Pro-Temp Jacqueline Delery, who pounds the gavel louder than Mike VI roars to get SG to quiet down.

6:53 pm - Sen. O’Malley, done with his apple, invites SG to his committee, but he doesn’t have the attention of SG.

6:54 pm - Drew Prestridge, chair of governmental relations, announces his upcoming plans for increasing voter awareness and planning of a joint session with Southern University.

6:56 pm - I just noticed the problem in this room: I’m the only black person in here.

6:56 pm - For an SG meeting, I expected a lot more. I expected suits, no chit-chatting and the absense of gum. This group does not look like LSU, nor does it differ from the sort of crowd one might find at Reggie’s on a random Thursday.

6:58 pm - I wonder who Cassie’s texting.

Denver, I mean Colorado

6:59 pm - My Facebook.com notification just popped up, as Sen. Remson is excited that Mardi Gras is just around the corner. I know, I wouldn’t want to be in this room either, but I’m not a senator.

7:00 pm - The black population in the room just doubled. The one black senator I’ve seen showed up 30 minutes late.

7:01 pm - Speaker Pro-Temp Delery, “I would appreciate it if you didn’t speak while I’m speaking.” Finally, someone set these spoiled brats straight.

Good work, Speaker Robertson

7:04 pm - SG is in good hands. Speaker Colorado Robertson looks like he has a strong command of the group. Obviously fluent in Robert’s Rules of Order, well-informed on the facts and an effective manager of time and content. This is, however, my first impression, but he looks good. I would lose the raggedy, worn LSU hat atop his dome. HE’S THE SPEAKER OF THE SENATE! Take the hat off, Speaker Robertson.

7:05 pm - Sen. Blanco is nominated to be contracted in Auxiliary Services by Sen. Edwards, which she accepts with the giddy-ness of a 12-year-old girl. The two look quite pleased as another is nominated, but refuses. All those in favor? “IIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!”

7:08 pm - Sen. O’Malley proposes adding GPS navigators to the Tiger Trams, which arouses laughter throughout the room.

7:09 pm - Speaker Robertson announces the adding of 200 additional clickers to the library. Sen. McIntyre speaks up, “What, pray tell, is a clicker??” After Speaker Robertson’s explanation, Sen. McIntyre reiterates, “Like a TV clicker?” Speaker Robertson replies in the affirmative, while I type, exasperated.

Kids say the darndest things

7:12 pm - Patrick Downs is now running Leadership LSU. Patrick Downs was declined from Leadership LSU. This does not bode well.

7:15 pm - Half of the minority representation at SG is currently speaking. Sen. Sanjay Juneja steps up to congratulate the new senators on being sworn in.

7:16 pm - Sen. O’Malley seconds the motion to have an adjourn roll call, but he gives the wink and the gun. I’ve had enough of this. The students of this campus must know that SG is not only cavalier, but almost pointless. Announcements have been made tonight that I received in e-mails two weeks ago. If this is the future of LSU and America, I’m really scared.

See the original blog entries at The Daily Reveille...

0 Comments: