6:31pm - The meeting has been called to order. Former Daily Reveille writer Travis Andrews is sworn in as the newest of SG Senators.
6:34pm - The SG Code of Conduct is read by Sen. Prestridge. Speaker Robertson pounds the gavel for the senators to quiet down before the roll is called.
Here vs. Present
6:37pm - Apparently the senators read my blog from last week. I’ve been eyed, somewhat sarcastically, as senators say “present” as opposed to “here.” I guess they want me to write that down.
6:38pm - The rules are suspended to go back to induction of new senators.
6:39pm - Sen. Remson steps up to discuss the “Best Buddies” program. The program is meant as an internship program to plan an event later in the semester.
Sen. LeBlanc, Speaker Pro-Temp Delery resign
6:44pm - Because of personal issues affecting the two, Sen. LeBlanc and Speaker Pro-Temp Delery have both resigned. Elections will be opened next week for a new Speaker Pro-Temp, but this live blogger is devastated. Jacqueline Delery served Student Government honorably, and she exits gracefully to a standing ovation.
President Alsfeld
6:48pm - President Cassie Alsfeld steps to the podium to remark on the great change seen on LSU this past year. We have the implementation of Easy Streets, a new tiger and a new search for a chancellor. Of course, we also earned a national championship. “If we have learned anything from Martin Luther King, Jr., it’s that we have to come together as a student body….we’re here to learn, not just about physics and the arts, but about ourselves and one another. Our humanity transcends all borders. We’re all in this together.”
She talks about the importance of wearing the letters of LSU proudly. “In the next few months, we focus not on regulating ourselves, on changing the rules, but go out there and talk to the people in the library, the people in the Greek houses, in the Natatorium, in the Quad, wherever you can find them, and tell them what we’re doing… I ask that we come together as a student body. It’s a great time to be a Tiger, it’s a great time to be a student at LSU.” Say what you will about President Alsfeld, she can be a captivating speaker and was quite eloquent tonight.
“Let’s all come together in unity.” My thoughts exactly.
Groovin' on the Grounds
7:00pm - Groovin’ on the Grounds has been scheduled for Apr. 12, and for the first time it’s on a Saturday. Student Government members are not guaranteed backstage passes, but anyone who emails and joins “Students on Target” is on the committee and is allowed access to cool things. For information, email Makela at Students on Target. Might want to check the spelling of the name.
7:02pm - Voting for Mardi Gras Mambo King and Queen begins on January 24th on PAWS. Included in the finalists are SG Senators Drew Prestridge, Andrew Remson and Chandler Cortina.
7:05pm - Tanesha Craig is announced as the new Assistant Director of Students’ Rights and Welfare, and an AIDS awareness event, named “Go Red” will be in Free Speech Alley on Feb. 14.
7:06pm - Parker Wishik, the acting director of communications, has a cold. He also used to work in the Reveille, and is looking forward to working with SG. Stevie Martineassistant director steps up to say the Web site is up and running.
7:09pm - And now I have competition. Student Government has announced the launch of their own blog, available to read at sg.lsu.edu. If this is an attempt to monopo….I’m just playing. SG should have a blog. They should be letting people know about everything SG does, and this announcement tonight about the new Web site being up is very welcome news.
Committee Reports
7:12pm - Academics, Athletics & Administration: Sen. Remson comes up to give his report. A forum to discuss ticket issues will be held in March to better improve the athletic situation. I have to say, I’m really impressed with the senators tonight. They seem attentive to the particular speaker at the podium as Remson suggests the inclusion of freshmen into the voice of the student body. There seems to be a theme tonight about togetherness.
7:15pm - Sen. Israel, chair of the finance committee, gives a shout out to the two senators who showed up at the Finance Committee meeting last night. He implores SG to start writing finance bills, because “they’re fun to write.” He states that the committee still has $15,000 to spend, and, he reiterates, “they’re fun to write.”
7:18pm - Sen. Prestridge proposes ideas to get out to the students and “increase” voter apathy. I think he means “decrease.” He advocates getting people involved in the political process, and this work will be matched with equal fun.
7:19pm - Sen. Sita stresses the importance of students’ displeasure for the testing labs. Emails will be sent out to the students to deal with the situation.
7:20pm - Just before stepping up to the podium to give her report, Sen. Breaux leans on my right shoulder. I turn to ponder what she’s doing, to which she senses and says “Just reading.” She then shifts to my left and asks, “Having fun?” I nodded in the affirmative. She singled me out earlier in the meeting when she commented on the blog, saying to the room, “I won’t point out any specifics.” She weirded me out so bad I missed what she said in her report.
The CHAMPS!!!
7:26pm - Sen. Remson introduces legislation to commend the Tigers for a fantastic season and a national championship. Sen. O’Malley asks if current Nebraska head coach and former LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini be included, and Sen. Remson replies in the affirmative. All in favor? “III!!!” All opposed?…….. SGR No. 2 is approved, and the LSU Tigers are officially commended by SG for their impressive season.
The Web site
7:28pm - I’m so glad SG is promoting its Web site. I will as well. Check out sg.lsu.edu. I can’t stress that enough. SG does need to reach out to the students to get their needs down into law. At the same time, SG is serious business and the students need to take notice of what they do and how it affects the entire student body. We’re all busy, as every senator in here has homework to do, presumably. We all need to do our part.
Petitions, Memorials, and Other Communications
7:36pm - Sen. Remson thanks Facility Services, the REC and others for working on the Safe Streets campaign, as the companies helped to make the campaign work.
7:37pm - Sen. O’Malley correctly points out that the number 4 on the clock tower reads “IIII” in lieu of “IV.”
7:38pm - Sens. O’Malley and Prestridge are promptly complimented on their suits, as they looks “nice and professional.” Thanks for that, fellas. The Daily Reveille is thanked for always showing the best of integrity in its articles, especially from Daniel McBride. Only one of Natalie Messina’s articles has come out, but it was appreciated, and she smiles as I write this.
Safety
7:42pm - Speaker Robertson and President Alsfeld will be attending a meeting about safety on campus, as the leadership is strenuously working on the subject and raising awareness.
7:43pm - President Alsfeld is distraught over the events on our campus recently. She brought this up not only as president but as board member as well. “It’s not enough to do lighting walks.” An awareness campaign about campus safety is in the works within Alsfeld’s cabinet. She proposes making “Public Safety Day” into an entire week, and it shouldn’t solely include handing out keychains. She implores SG to get involved because her staff needs help. Tonight, I saw what leadership looks like, and it’s President Alsfeld. Her tone, her sincerity and her eloquence shined as brightly as her smile. She impressed me tonight, as she showed tonight exactly what it means to lead. I feel a lot less sick about these meetings, and I can’t wait for next week.
7:48pm - During the adjourning roll call, Sen. McIntyre says “A very non-sleazy I.” That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Good job Sen. McIntyre, and meeting adjourned.
Read the original blog entries at The Daily Reveille...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment