Tuesday, October 2, 2007

SG president needs to re-evaluate her priorities

"I want to move forward. I'm here to move forward with this campus. I was elected to get us there, and I will do anything it takes to get us there."

Those were the words of Student Government President Cassie Alsfeld, in defense of her vote on the LSU Board of Supervisors to approve the Student Union fee increase originally shot down by the students this past semester. Apparently, "doing anything" involves ignoring the student body's wishes and pushing on with one's own agenda. I voted in favor of the Union Theater Referendum put in front of the students, and when it was defeated by 50.99 percent of the student body, I sighed but eventually accepted the will of the students. To vote in a board room unanimously against the vote of the student body, regardless of how close the vote was, is unjust and unfair. The Board essentially turned our vote into a poll.

Madame Alsfeld has expressed her dissent with The Daily Reveille's coverage of SG during the course of this semester, saying in a Letter to the Editor on Sept. 27, "the presentation and choice of stories have displayed an obvious slant within management." Her actions as president this semester, however, have displayed a much steeper slant.

Continue reading at The Daily Reveille...

0 Comments: